8/17/06 - The ball is rolling, but maybe a little too fast... During their rounds this morning the surgeons decided to drastically increase the volumes of milk Taylor is getting. Instead of yesterday's plan of 5cc (1 teaspoon) increases every nine hours we are jumping to 50 cc almost instantly and with two more big jumps will be at 80 cc by tomorrow morning. All this is great news for getting Taylor home from the hospital, the catch is that during her feedings last night she was only taking ~20 cc orally and the rest was being pushed through her feeding tube. I think it is safe to say we are both overwhelmed a little bit. We want to go home, but we really don't want to be tube feeding her for any extended period of time. Pray that things would "slow down" for us, not necessarily physical time, but at least mentally (if that makes any sense). Pray that Taylor would develop stamina for extended feedings, a hunger to eat more and more, and that as her stomach and digestive system are stretched and worked through these larger feedings everything would remain healthy and functioning correctly.
We take out the NG tube and look what happens! Before anyone gets too excited her tube was not removed for good. =( Kevin and I were trying to fix the tape that holds the tube in place and had a difficult time, to make a long story short we took the tube out and took the opportunity to snap some adorable pictures. Food update: The new formula didn't work, the first try made her vomit so we scratched that plan. Now we're back to straight breast milk and we're working on increasing her volumes again. Right now we're up to 78cc and we're moving back up to 80cc tonight. So far she is tolerating it very well. I think her tummy is ready for the 80cc it just needed more time to stretch naturally. She is also continuing to increase her oral intake. Right now she is averaging 30 cc from breastfeeding (YEAH Taylor!) last night she even took a whopping 50cc! So we're seeing SLOW progress every day but we're on our way. Yesterday Taylo...
Comments
You are doing such a fantastic job trying to keep up with everything that is being sent you way. It has to seems overwhelming to you guys but we do know that Taylor is in one of the best hospitals around for babies and they must know what they are doing. I'm just so anxious for the day to be here soon when everything is back to normal and you guys can relax and enjoy your home with your sweet daughter.
Remember: Fear thou not for I am with thee. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen thee, I will help thee, I will uphold thee with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10. You are in good hands.
Love to the three of you.
G Grandpa and G Grandma Smith